Spaghetti All’ Amatriciana is a quintessentially authentic Italian recipe focused on flavours coming from pork fat. Normally one would use guanciale but we prefer to use pancetta from Tempus foods, which the best pancetta that we know of and is naturally marbled in fat. Tempus’ pancetta is perfectly balanced between the richness of the pork fat and the smokiness of the cure. Tempus, like La Tua Pasta, is solely focused on its craft – so their pancetta is the perfect partner in a dish that is centred around the flavour of their spectacular product .
The other key component to Amatriciana is tomato sauce. Here a balance of sweetness and acidity rounds out the smokiness of the pancetta; our homemade sugo is perfect for this – with clean tomato and basil notes that bring a light warmth to our Amatriciana. The tomato is a clear clean flavour that restrains the smokiness of the pancetta and adds a sweet sharpness. Finally, the dish is garnished with aged Parmesan to add a layer of saltiness to finish it off.
- Keep refrigerated below 5C.
- Once opened consume within 3 days.
- Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.
How to prepare our spaghetti all’amatriciana
- Dice the pancetta in cubes and heat it in a large frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil; take care not to burn it but bring it to a light crisp. Put a bit of pancetta to the side to garnish the plate.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomato sauce and heat gently (make sure not to bring the tomato sauce to a boil).
- In a large saucepan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the Spaghetti
- Cook to al dente – 2-3 minutes
- Remove the pasta from the saucepan with tongs and place it in the frying pan with the pancetta and tomato sauce – make sure that some of the starchy pasta water makes it into the frying pan – you can always add 1-2 table spoons of starchy water if you require some more. The water is important because it helps to emulsify the sauce on the pasta.
- Stir gently and ensure that the spaghetti is well coated with tomato sauce.
- Plate the Amatriciana into 2 bowls and garnish with Parmesan and the pancetta that was put to the side – Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen. The picture is indicative and shows one of the possible combinations you can do with the products included in the box.