The three key ingredients in this dish all come from southern Italy. The classic style of Orecchiette made of eggless durum wheat pasta hails from Puglia. In this region, making ‘little ears’ or Orecchiette is how many home cooks while away the hours to feed their families. The quality of the durum is paramount with a high protein content to ensure that the bite and texture are right.
Red pesto or Pesto Trapanese originates in Sicily where the Genoese brough Pesto to the Island. The Sicilians never to bested in the kitchen, invented red pesto to make use of their extraordinary local ingredients such as sundried tomatoes, basil and olive oil.
Capers are also from the south; they have been cultivated in the Aeolian Islands for many years where the hot consistent climate makes them mature to perfection. Walking around in the summer in Sicily you might easily spot caper bush on the side the road, where locals pick them to bring home to preserve for the winter.
When putting all of these ingredients together you get a classic southern dish with a sweet saltiness due to the combination of pesto and salted capers. The Orecchiette adds a lovely texture to the delicious flavour.
HOW TO PREPARE OUR ORECCHIETTE WITH RED PESTO & CAPERS
- Rinse away all the salt from capers and soak them in water for about 15 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the Orecchiette
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes depending on preference
- Put the pesto with the drained caper in a pan and transfer the orecchiette using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes into the pan with the pesto. (The starchy pasta water is the secret to getting a good coating of the Orecchiette). You can always add 1 tablespoon of pasta water after if you would like
- Gently coat the Orecchiette with the sauce and plate.
- Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen. The picture is indicative and shows one of the possible combinations you can do with the products included in the box.
Keep refrigerated below 5C.
Once opened consume within 3 days.
Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.