Pumpkin Cappellacci (or Tortelli) with Bolognese Sauce is part of the culinary tradition of Ferrara in the Emilia Romagna Region. This recipe can be traced back to the 16th century where the much loved egg pasta squares of Duke Alfonso II d’Este, have always been a dispute between the city of Ferrara and the city of Mantua for its filling. As a matter of fact, the filling ingredients change radically depending on the area, but the sweet taste of the pumpkin baked in the oven – which makes them so special, remains the same.
Our recipe follows one of the traditional recipes. We use sweet delica pumpkin grown by our pumpkin farmer Armando in Italy. We gently bake it and then blend it with a specially selected Italian ricotta so that the filling becomes creamier and smoother. Finally, we add a touch of nutmeg and parmesan cheese to enrich the flavour.
In this classic dish we suggest our signature Pumpkin Ravioli in a “Ferrarese” way, which is combined with our homemade Bolognese sauce slowly cooked for hours. We also suggest to finish the dish with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese.
HOW TO PREPARE OUR PUMPKIN RAVIOLI WITH BOLOGNESE SAUCE
- In a large sauce pan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water.
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the Ravioli
- Cook for 3 – 4 and a half minutes depending on preference
- Gently heat the Bolognese sauce in a frying pan without burning and transfer the Ravioli using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes it into the pan with the Bolognese sauce. (The starchy pasta water is part of the dish.) You can always add 1 tablespoon of pasta water after if you would like.
- Gently coat the ravioli with the sauce, plate and garnish with Parmesan
- Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen. The picture is indicative and shows one of the possible combinations you can do with the products included in the box.
Keep refrigerated below 5C.
Once opened consume within 3 days.
Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.