Genova, the capital of Liguria, is famous for its fresh green pesto. The word Pesto comes from the verb Pestare in Italian which literally means to pound. This comes from the pounding of the ingredients – basil, pine nuts, garlic and parmesan – in a traditional marble mortar with a wooden pestle. In our Tonnarelli Genovese Pesto & Pancetta we feature a fresh pesto which we source from Italy which we pair with our golden Tonnarelli. To this combination we add a smoky, fatty saltiness that comes from Tempus Food’s delightful pancetta which we think is a perfect partner to our pasta. Shaved Parmesan completes the dish and in 7 minutes flat you will be eating a delicious Italian feast.
- Keep refrigerated below 5C.
- Once opened consume within 3 days.
- Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.
How to prepare our Tonnarelli with Genovese Pesto & Pancetta
- Dice the pancetta in cubes and heat it in a large frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil; take care not to burn it but bring it to a light crisp. Put a bit of pancetta to the side to garnish the plate.
- In a large saucepan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the tonnarelli
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes depending on preference
- Put the pesto in a pan with the pancetta and transfer the tonnarelli using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes into the pan with the pesto. (The starchy pasta water is the secret to getting a good coating of the pesto on trofie)
- Stir the pesto into the tonnarelli gently and plate with Parmesan and the remaining Pancetta on top as a garnish
- Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen.