A more ‘off the beaten track’ recipe… but no less classic or delicious! When people think of pesto they immediately think of green or red but have you considered walnut? Walnuts add a creaminess, nuttiness without the sharpness of the basil or sundried tomato. It is a more subtle flavour that is one of Italy’s hidden classics. With walnut pesto we combine our delightfully rolled vegan trofie pasta. Our trofie is vegan because we make it in the time-tested manner of only using the highest quality durum wheat flour blend from a small Italian quality producer and nothing else.
The origin of trofie itself is unclear; some say it comes from old Ligurian, other historians claim that it originates from ancient Greece. Either way, we just know that it is delicious with walnut pesto, crispy Pancetta and a sprinkle of Parmesan.
HOW TO PREPARE OUR TROFIE WITH WALNUT & PANCETTA:
- In a large frying pan heat the pancetta with a tablespoon of olive oil; take care not to burn it but bring it to a light crisp. Put a bit of pancetta to the side to garnish the plate.
- In a large sauce pan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the trofie
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes depending on preference
- Put the pesto in a pan with the pancetta and transfer the trofie using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes into the pan with the pesto. (The starchy pasta water is the secret to getting a good coating of the pesto on trofie)
- Stir the pesto into the trofie gently and plate with Parmesan and the remaining Pancetta on top as a garnish
- Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauce, Pancetta and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen.
Keep refrigerated below 5C.
Once opened consume within 3 days.
Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.