Trofie Al Pesto is one of the most classic Ligurian dishes. Trofie is naturally vegan as it is made purely of durum wheat flour. We exclusively source our durum wheat flour from a sole miller in Italy where we buy the highest-grade flour. The pesto we have selected is fresh pesto which is not pasteurised. The shorter shelf life product is worth the trouble, because you can feel the flavours coming through the effort of ‘Pestare’ which literally means to pound. To make pesto basil, olive oil, pine nuts, Pecorino Romano and Parmesan are pounded with a wooden pestle and marble mortar. It takes a long time to produce a very small amount. Fortunately, we have taken all the hard work away and you just have to follow the simple instructions below.
- Keep refrigerated below 5C.
- Once opened consume within 3 days.
- Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.
How to prepare our trofie with genoese pesto
- In a large sauce pan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g add 2.5 litres of water
- Bring the water to a rolling boil and put in the trofie
- Cook for 2-3 minutes depending on taste – we like ours ‘al dente’ – you can always try one or two pieces before you remove the pasta from the water
- Put the pesto in a pan and transfer the trofie using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes into the pan with the pesto. (The starchy pasta water is the secret to getting a good coating of the pesto on trofie)
- Stir the pesto into the trofie gently and plate with Parmesan on top as a garnish
- Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen. The picture is indicative and shows one of the possible combinations you can do with the products included in the box.