Tonnarelli with Tomato sauce and Taggiasche olives is an easy, fresh and typically Italian dish – an expression of the real Mediterranean flavour. The ingredient that really makes the difference in this recipe surely is the Taggiasca olive. Typical of the Liguria region of Italy, this olive takes its name from Taggia, the little town where San Colombians monks from the Cistercian monastery on the Lerino islands first introduced this type of olive.
The olive’s distinctive mellow flavour, with a sweet and fruity presence, is balanced perfectly by the tomato sauce. Here our own freshly made Sugo al Pomodoro is a perfect combination – with clean tomato and basil notes it completes the flavour of the olives. If you prefer a more tangy flavour you can take a note from Sicilian chefs – and add some capers and anchovies!.
- Keep refrigerated below 5C.
- Once opened consume within 3 days.
- Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.
How to prepare our tonnarelli, tomato sauce & taggiasche olives
- In a large sauce pan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the Tonnarelli
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes depending on preference
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil. When almost smoking, add olives (drained). Saute for 3 minutes over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and gently add the Tomato Sauce. Heat it without burning and transfer the Tonnarelli using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes into the pan with the tomato sauce. (The starchy pasta water is part of the dish.) You can always add 1 tablespoon of pasta water after if you would like.
- Gently coat the Tonnarelli with the tomato sauce, plate and garnish with Parmesan
- Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen. The picture is indicative and shows one of the possible combinations you can do with the products included in the box.