Orecchiette literally translates to ‘little ears’ from Italian due to their unique shape. This lovely traditional pasta shape which hails from Apulia in Southern Italy is naturally vegan as it made solely of durum wheat flour and water. Ours is no exception; we only use the finest grade golden Italian durum from a miller that we have been working with for over 10 years.
In this vegan offering, we add our beautifully rich but simple tomato sauce to our carefully crafted Orecchiette; the sauce is slow cooked with basil, onions, garlic and seasoning. This warm combination provides a simple hearty meal for everyone to enjoy. Buon Appetitto!
- Keep refrigerated below 5C.
- Once opened consume within 3 days.
- Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.
How to prepare our orecchiette with tomato sauce
- In a large sauce pan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the Orecchiette
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes depending on preference
- Gently heat the tomato sauce in a frying pan without burning and transfer the Orecchiette using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes into the pan with the tomato sauce. (The starchy pasta water is part of the dish.) You can always add 1 tablespoon of pasta water after if you would like.
- Gently coat the Orecchiette with the tomato sauce and plate.
- Buon Appetito!
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen. The picture is indicative and shows one of the possible combinations you can do with the products included in the box.