Melanzane, or Aubergine features across much of the Southern Mediterranean cooking and diets. In Italian cooking this vegetable features across a number of famous dishes. Classic Parmigiana layers aubergine with mozzarella and tomatoes. Two of Italy’s culinary powerhouses, Campagna and Sicily both lay claim to this dish because aubergines are plentiful in these regions as they grow extremely well under the hot sunny climate. We will never know where Parmigiana originates from, but we think our twist on this recipe – wrapping the Parmigiana filling in a hand folded tortelloni – is delicious. In our 5-minute recipe we add our classic tomato sauce which further brightens the dish as we slow cook it with basil and garlic. Parmesan finishes the dish perfectly with a salty kiss.
- Keep refrigerated below 5C.
- Once opened consume within 3 days.
- Pasta suitable for Freezing. Freeze on day of purchase and consume within 1 month, cook from frozen.
How to prepare our aubergine parmigiana tortelloni with tomato sauce
- in a large sauce pan add 1 litre of salted water for every 100g of pasta. For 250g of pasta add 2.5 litres of water.
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and put in the Tortelloni
- Cook for 3 – 4 and a half minutes depending on preference
- Gently heat the tomato sauce in a frying pan without burning and transfer the tortelloni using a slotted spoon making sure that some of the starchy pasta waster makes it into the pan with the tomato sauce. (The starchy pasta water is part of the dish.) You can always add 1 tablespoon of pasta water after if you would like.
- Gently coat the tortelloni with the tomato sauce, plate and garnish with Parmesan
- Buon Appetito
Please note: The Picture shown is for illustration purpose only. You will receive Fresh Pasta, sauces and Parmesan Cheese to cook in your kitchen. The picture is indicative and shows one of the possible combinations you can do with the products included in the box.